Nightingale Health Sanctuary (NHS) is a group of individuals organized for the purpose of establishing and operating a self-governed village-style community focused on health and wellness, providing a safe and supportive community for people who are unhoused. It will be accessible and inclusive in recognition that 40% of unhoused have disabilities.
Once a sanctuary is established NHS intends to offer the larger unhoused community:
- a health clinic operating at least twice a week;
- a guest program offering people in the neighborhood who are unhoused a safe place to sleep; and
- a resource and information center assisting people to connect with community resources.
Additionally, NHS intends to offer classes and activities to support health and wellness such as:
- cooking and nutrition classes;
- peer-to-peer mediation;
- peer-to-peer coaching;
- communication training’
- music and art activities; and
- self-care skills training designed to enhance overall health management of pain and stress.
The NHS project is a response to the unmet needs of people who are unhoused in our community.… Read the rest